January 15, 2012

Why I Made A DIY Baby Book / Journal

I wasn’t a fan of any of the baby books that I checked out at our local bookstore.

Yes, I’ll admit that I am particular about such things. 

Many of the books that I looked at had great content, but I wasn’t particularly enthralled with the pastel color schemes or cartoon-y animal themes.  Also, some of the fill-in-the-blank style pages just didn’t quite fit with our family.  For example, Baby P. will have two sets of maternal grandparents.   This wasn’t something that seemed readily available in most of the pre-made baby books. 

I considered not keeping a true “baby book” and instead buying a blank book to fill in with more of a journal-style record of my pregnancy and Baby P.’s first few years of life. 

I wasn’t sure about this idea, either, so I shopped some more.  No luck.

Then, as I was browsing on Pinterest, I kept running across free files that I could download and print.

A little *spark* went off in my head and I decided that I could make my own baby book/journal combo. 

Doing so would allow me to customize the book in my own style, create pages that were specific to our own Baby P. and easily combine the traditional fill-in-the-blank style baby book with a journal.    

All of this for the cost of some cardstock, ink, a three-ring binder and some page protectors…not bad.  And so, the downloading, printing, writing and gluing began.

**This is the first post in a three part series about creating a "do it yourself" version of a baby book/journal.  Part two gives some tips for creating your own baby book and  part three shows some photos of the project!

No comments:

Post a Comment